Do you remember your first job? With the passage of time, the depression and other bad effects have lessened. While I don't think the experience was all that great, there were some good effects, including learning how to work with others and how to pass the time.
I worked as a dish washer at my first job. I interviewed for the job of waiter but my brother ended up getting that job. So the next available job for me was dishwasher. The restaurant was called "L'Odeon." It was supposed to be a classy French restaurant but since the chef was Swiss and his wife a young woman half his age who drove a convertible sports car, it was really a place of conflicts and class warfare. Who one was seen with was important. The owners only wanted to serve certain types of people--not just anybody off the street. I suppose this one of the first bad effects.
Some of the good effects included getting a pay check, a summer job, and paying into social security ay at a young age.
Some of the bad effects were, as I mentioned, the owner's wife. Also the job was rather dull and was thus disappointing because it was not fun. The last thing I had to do at the end of the night was to empty the garbage. That was a huge and heavy job for a young person.
Overall, I look back on my first job with a sense of the dread of manual labor...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home